Friday, March 16, 2012

MAC Week 3 Reading Post-That'll do Pig

I really enjoyed the Babe analogy in Chapter 7-The Way Things Are. I have seen this movie so many times and it went so well with how the authors were trying to get their points across about being present to the way things are. I have a student that I swear this chapter was written for. He is what I call an Eeyore kid. Kind of negative all the time, walking around with a rain cloud over him. Always making road blocks instead of paths. Being much like the cow in the analogy, the oh well that's the way things are kind of mentality. I showed him a couple of snippets of the movie Babe after reading this chapter, and then we spoke about being present to the way things are instead of just accepting things the way they are. How this type of thinking is a catalyst for change, and how this could help him to improve his way of thinking. He really enjoyed the analogy as well and said that it pointed things out to him in a different way and really put things in perspective. The simple trick of turning the word but into and was like magic. He and I have been trying to find ways to turn more dreary outlooks into positive experiences. I just LOVE this book, it has been so insightful on so many levels. I have found so many uses for the things I have learned, I really am floored by all the great stuff and thankful we were given the opportunity to read it!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly,

    This post really warmed my heart because I also watched the movie ‘Babe’ about 50 times, with my young children – and the Piglet photo you used instantly makes me say, ‘AAAaahhhh’! Thank you for the care you have to see those Eeyore types and coach them to a higher place. I would like to hear all the conversations said at their supper tables when those children mention YOUR name for inspiring them to a new level of life. Thank you also for sharing your appreciation for this book. What will you ask Benjamin and Roz when we meet them? And even better, what will you ‘Teach’ them in our conversation? That is why they will invite us to their next event when they are in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    What a creative way of you to help your student see that walking around negative all the time is more harmful to his future than seeing the world as a good and positive place. We all have ups and downs but how we handle those times is what makes us or breaks us. I know that for a while I was very negative about things, I call it the "why me syndrome". When I was in there I didn't make good decisions (if I made any) and I had to get out of it. Now even if I make the wrong decision, I look at what I did or didn't do correctly, learn from it, make adjustments and move ahead. I don't think kids are taught that today and I think this book is really talking about that. I hate when people complain about everything, what good does that do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that you shared the chapter with your Eeyore... so many are protecting themselves from disappointment..

    ReplyDelete