Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wk1 Leadership Blog Post: Leadership Role Model:

I have learned so much about leadership through being a teacher. I have learned a lot from my principal, but my students as well have shown me so many valuable things. My principal has so many great qualities that I strive for, and would reach for when placed in a leadership position. He is a good boss and a great principal. So often I think that this is difficult to achieve. I know you can never please everybody, however he comes pretty darn close. Dr. Cartwright seeks first to understand before he brings about change. He definitely does his research on what the needs of our school are (including both staff and students) and does his best to consistently put into action anything that we need. He is also very open minded, which I think is a great strength in a good leader. The ability to be open minded to others ideas that are brought to the table, knowing that even though you are in a position of power, this does not mean that you know everything there is to know. He includes the staff and students in many decisions for the school, making us feel like we have ownership in the culture of our work place, rather than coming in and doing what we're told type feel. Dr. Cartwright also tries to stay on the cutting edge of everything going on in education. He makes sure that we are trained and aware of it, and has our school pilot and new programs or strategies that might be out there so that we are abreast of all new ideas. Through all of these things Dr. Cartwright is always challenging us, educating us, pushing us to be the best we can be. Giving us the opportunity to grow and accomplish makes him a great leader.  For all of the qualities of his that I mentioned, I respect and see him as an amazing leader and am thankful to be an observer in his world.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent that you have such a great role model right in front of you. That's so great.

    ReplyDelete